A traditional stuffing made with garden herbs and the zest of lemon. This stuffing can be made with gluten-free or everyday fresh breadcrumbs.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, optional
- 2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon picked thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1.5 kg Turk's free range chicken
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in a bowl, add the cooled onion and garlic mixture and mix together. Drizzle over the remaining oil to moisten.
- Stuff chicken cavity with the stuffing and tie chicken legs with kitchen string to secure. Place in a roasting dish, rub with a little oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 50-55 minutes per kg plus 10-20 minutes extra or until the chicken juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil or baking paper and leave to rest in a warm place for 10-20 minutes extra (until juices run clear).
1.5kg Turk's free range chicken
1.35kg Turk's free range chicken
Leftover stuffing can be rolled into balls and added to the roasting dish halfway through cooking chicken. Bind stuffing mixture with egg and gluten-free flour.